Australian working holiday visas for backpackers

translate website
Working holiday visa
Backpacker jobs board
Income tax and super refunds

The 'Working Holiday' and 'Work and Holiday' programs

The 'Working Holiday' and 'Work and Holiday' programs encourage cultural exchange and closer ties between arrangement countries by allowing young people to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment.

There are two main types of working visas for backpackers:

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)
For people from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
Information for applicants from Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, the USA and Uruguay, on holiday and work visas in Australia.




© Commonwealth of Australia 2006, Department of Immigration and Citizenship


Work visaSecond Working Holiday Visa

To be eligible for a second Working Holiday visa, you must meet a number of requirements. More information.



There are a number companies advertising that they will provide the necessary documentation (for a fee) that you have completed 3 months work in a rural area so you can apply for a 2nd year visa. This is a SCAM and if the Department of Immigration finds out that people have obtained this documentation, they will possibly have their visas cancelled and be deported.

© Commonwealth of Australia 2006, Department of Immigration and Citizenship


Further informationFurther information about the working holiday programs

Further information about either of the working holiday programs
(including information about applying for the visa) or about applying for a second visa, please refer to the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

The department also operates a national general enquiries line.

Telephone: 131 881
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (recorded information is available outside these hours).